Friday, June 14, 2013

Doll Blogs - Some Thoughts...

I just thought it would be a good idea to share some general thoughts on blogging about dolls.

Entertaining thought... a doll blog is a known thing, doll blogging is an activity, a very serious activity. A lot of effort and time is given to this activity. 

I don't classify myself among the best of the doll bloggers, but I do aspire to do as well as they do. I know that my other commitments and other creative activities will continue to prevent me from devoting as much time to this as I'd like. Nonetheless, I am going to have as much fun and contribute to this little world of passionate collectors and artists whenever I can.


Exquisite American Model (Tonner) repaint by Joo.
I believe that some of the most wonderful, creative things are produced by the artists who do repaints. Most dolls lend themselves well to this activity, with Tonner dolls, such as the one shown here, being one of the most popular with these artists. The example I have chosen does, admittedly, represent my taste in repaints. I love the soft natural look with exquisitely rendered details. 

On equal footing with the repaint artists are those who craft and/or design clothing and accessories for these lovely little folks. These people range from those who create intricate replica patterns of historical clothing to those who create unimaginably creative works of art using fabric in ways that take optimal advantage of the dolls' attributes rather than just creating tiny outfits for miniature humans. I am constantly amazed at the creativity and skill of these artists.

Some artists create dioramas for their little friends. Tiny, intricately detailed room settings. This isn't an interest of mine, I have just a few pieces of furniture, but I am still blown away by the care these people take and the style they demonstrate. Although I would not do this - being a locked cabinet sort of collector - I am impressed.

For me, the major focus is on the dolls themselves. I love sewing for them, and collecting OOAK clothes from artists. I am learning how to do face ups and the progress has been very satisfying.

There are two things that I can be really weak willed about when it comes to shopping for myself. Shoes and jewelry. It is no different when it comes to my girls. I have to admit that I am embarrassed to tell my friends and family how much I have spent on footwear and costume jewelry for these ladies. Although I cannot say this about my jewelry collection, I can definitely say that I have spent more on shoes for my dolls than I have spent on myself in the past year. I wasn't being stingy with myself either!

Decently crafted doll shoes range from $10 to $50 per pair. Quality jewelry typically starts at $20 for a necklace and earring set and is somewhat more difficult to find.

I've been trying to find someone who will build me a miniature shoe rack...this is a story that keeps making its way back to me through family and friends. "I heard you have more shoes for your dolls than you do for yourself. Did you really ask for a shoe rack?" Now why is that so hard to believe?


The lovely Fashion Jane (Tonner) She's wearing one of my old necklaces...it is good not to let people find out when you do this to a piece they gave you!
I am diligently working on developing my  doll clothing sewing and designing skills. I have years of experience sewing for full size humans, which does give me some advantage. However, what works for us full size humans often doesn't translate well to the little ones. 

I am learning to expand from making miniature replicas to creating outfits suitable to this tiny scale. It is sort of like the difference between painting with oils and painting with watercolors - to do something excellent, you have to be fully with your medium and use it optimally. You cannot try to force something to be what it is not, you have to let it be what it is and only then can you create something outstanding. I may not be describing this well, but you know what I am talking about and you've seen it from the best of the doll clothing designers.

What I do currently have going for me in sewing doll clothes is that I have the skill and dexterity. I also took advanced tailoring classes many years ago and do know how to make patterns, how to fully line clothes, etc. What works against me is that there is a bit of rigidity to my thinking. For example...French seams are too bulky...button holes are a joke...clipping curves can destroy a piece...and it goes on. I have to do it MY WAY and then rethink it and do it for the dolls.

Hand sewing is often better than machine sewing for most of the tiny outfits. Many fabrics just cannot be handled well on most machines at such a small scale. Hand sewing can be very relaxing and fun! Of course, I am engaged in a rather extensive search for a sewing machine that can be used for ultra fine sewing. Please leave recommendations in the comments section if you know of suitable machines.

I can never keep up with my ideas for Doll Blogs. I actually have dozens of pictures that I have taken for my blogs. I have unwritten Doll Blogs stored in my head dating back at least a year. How sad is that? I need to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment